Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Baroque & Opera: Magic in Venice


A must see performance in Venice. It takes place in the Salone Capitolare of Scuola Grande di San Teodoro. I met some fellow travelers by chance. This beautiful couple left me with a brochure from I Musici Veneziani. My eyes lit up as I read Baroque and Opera was the performance set to take place the next evening. I booked my ticket online at http://www.imusiciveneziani.com/.

There are two options, Category A (39 Euros) and Category B (29 Euros). The first category is for first and front row seating. The second category is for middle row seating and beyond. Reduced prices are offered. Grab an early dinner as no food or beverages are offered at the venue. You can also pick up a calzone or a pomodoro e mozzarella sandwich for just 5 euros on the way there. 

The ambience is relaxed. People arrived in jeans, just as they arrived in slacks and winter dresses. You may present a paper or electronic version of your ticket. Seating begins at 8:00 p.m. Arrive early, seating is on a first come, first serve basis. If you arrive before 8:00 p.m. you will wait in the general area until 8:00 p.m. when the doors open. You will go up  stairs to the performance area. The seats are very simple. The performances begin at 8:30 p.m.


The performance began subtly with variations of instrumental baroque music and opera. All the orchestra members and opera singers were dressed in Baroque style costumes. It was like time travel into the era of Mozart and other great composers. As the opera duets begin, the voices penetrate the entire venue. Emotive verses mixed with natural gestures cause pleasing chills. This was real Venice. You become one of the Venetians, immersed in the culture, the magic, of everything that is Venice.  Next performance is on December 9th. Be there!

A view of the intimate and cozy stage

No comments:

Post a Comment

That Time I met the Dalai Lama

The unexpected happened and all of a sudden I found myself in Longbeach, California in May of 2011. There I was ready to meet the Dalai Lam...